We can develop a relationship with music that goes beyond mere entertainment. Our musical experience can still be pleasant and fun and also can become a means to explore our inner world.
Music can be used as a vehicle to sustain moods, to make shifts in energy and feelings, to connect with the body, and to trigger insights.
Next time you choose a song to listen to, try the following:
1) Before you start to listen to it BECOME AWARE of how you feel IN THE MOMENT. What is present in your consciousness? Be attentive to feelings, sensations, and thoughts.
2) Close you eyes. Breathe slowly. Set up an INTENTION to listen deeply to the song and pay attention to its sounds, arrangements, and lyrics.
3) Play it.
4) As you play it OPEN YOURSELF to create a RELATIONSHIP with the song (if it feels safe). What this song is telling me and how does this impact me? Observe without judging your sensations, feelings and thoughts as you follow the song. What do images and thoughts pop up in your awareness? If there is no thought, if there is no image, it is fine. Just stay with whatever is present.
5) If you feel like dancing, surrender to it and let your body move. If you feel like being still, surrender to it. Remember to LISTEN DEEPLY to the music and to your self.
6) As the song ends, spend some time in SILENCE checking in with yourself and staying with the experience.
7) When you feel ready, share it! How was your experience? If you fee like it, you can write it down in your journal or tell a friend about it. There are many ways to share. Would you like to share it with us?